Sometimes we have cats who cannot live as house pets. Cats in our barn cat program fall into one of three categories:
- Cats whose litter box habits make them unsuitable to live in the house
- Cats who are just too independent to appreciate being cooped up
- Cats who are feral, under socialized, or fearful of people
Please note that we do not place cats who are suitable to be household pets into our barn cat program – only those cats without other options.
It’s not just for barns!
Without barn cat adopters, these cats have nowhere else to go. We refer to these cats as “barn cats” because that is typically the most common housing option. However, if you have a warehouse or other type of safe, weather-proof outbuilding, we are willing to consider creative locations!
What we provide
All cats are:
- Up to date on vaccinations
- Spayed or neutered
- Tested for FeLV/FIV
When you adopt we will go over with you how to acclimate your new cat to their surroundings and how to go about their introductory process. We can loan you an introductory crate (if needed) for the first few weeks in their new environment.
What you need
- Permanent shelter in a weather-proof outbuilding
- Provide daily food and water – cats cannot live on mousing alone
- Long-term veterinary care, as needed
- A secure place to keep them for the first 3-4 weeks, while they acclimate to their new environment. This can be any secure indoor enclosure from which they cannot escape.
If you would like to adopt barn cats or have additional questions about the program, please contact our Customer Care Coordinator at (603) 448-6888 ext. 109 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PO Box 789
Lebanon, NH 03766