For over 50 years, the Upper Valley Humane Society has been compassionately connecting people and pets. Our vision is to achieve excellence in animal welfare through a progressive approach to humane sheltering, humane education, community engagement and support services. UVHS is proud to be at the forefront of a growing movement in animal welfare by serving our communities through care and resources for companion animals and families.
Humane Animal Sheltering
- We accept homeless, abused and unwanted cats, dogs, kittens, puppies, bunnies and small animals (even an occasional iguana!) regardless of medical or behavioral condition.
- We contract with and provide stray services to 26 municipalities but also accept animals from outside of those areas.
- We provide shelter, medical care and behavioral support for every animal for however long it takes to find their forever home.
- We provide mental stimulation, socialization, exercise, improved nutrition, and a reduced stress environment for all animals in its care.
- To help ensure success with new adoptive families, we behaviorally evaluate every animal to determine the best home setting and tailor their shelter experience with an individualized behavior and training program designed to build specific skills and overcome particular challenges.
Humane Education & Community Outreach
- We offer bi-monthly low cost spay/neuter clinics for the community.
- We fight cruelty in New Hampshire and Vermont through education and by providing resources.
- We approach every situation individually and with compassion.
- We seek to educate rather than alienate.
- We engage the community through events, tours and in-school presentations.
- We offer obedience training, agility and more through partnerships with local dog trainers.
Partnership in Humanity Program
- We offer free emergency boarding for victims of domestic violence, hospitalization or other crisis situations.
- We provide resources, including a free food shelf, to support people in caring for their pets.
- We share pet food and other resources with partner organizations like the Haven, Meals on Wheels and WISE.
- We partner with police, fire and emergency services to help people and pets during large-scale and personal disaster situations.